Filming in Finland

We have gathered here some facts and figures  about Finland that might be useful when planning to film in Finland. Be sure to also visit: and feel free to contact

Guidelines for production during COVID-19

Guidelines for border traffic by the Finnish Border Guard

Click here for an overview on the process of how entry permits to Finland, border crossing, and adapting safety protocols will be handled for your production, if you decide to film in Finland.

Basic Info

Finland’s population is approx 5.5 million. The two official languages are Finnish and Swedish. The currency used is euro. The infrastructure and logistics works smoothly. You can get anywhere by car and the railroad network is operated by the private state owned VR.  There are also many airports in the country. You can find the list of all the airports here


Finland is one of the northernmost countries in Europe, with an incredibly diverse landscape. The four seasons offers many opportunities. The specialities include the midnight sun, northern lights and long winters with guaranteed snow. There are many locations that are in natural condition. In addition to snow Finland is also known as a land of thousand lakes, 200 000 to be precise. As a filming location it’s quite easy to find places that are previously unexplored on camera. 

Crew rates & fringes

Film Production (day salaries)

TV production (day salaries)

Wage Group I:

Production assistant work
In film productions, e.g. runner
Wage group II:

Executive work
In film productions, e.g. best boy

In TV productions, e.g. camera man, script supervisor
Wage group III:

Executive, accountable work
In film productions: gaffer, key-grip and 1. Camera assistant

In TV production: cinematographer, production sound mixer
Wage group IV:

Artistic responsibility in production

In film production: director, cinematographer, set designer etc.
In TV-production for example director, journalist, producer


  • To the crew rates in the previous section you’ll have to add social security and pension at 23.5 % + holiday pay 13.5%. A total of 37% is a good rule of thumb for adding on fringe costs.
  • Normal working time is 8 hours per day, 5 days a week (40 hours) Monday through Friday
  • 10-hour on camera days are most common and what any line producer will typically draw a budget for
  • A lunch break is mandatory when working at least six hours. Lunch is min. 30mins and max. 1hr and added on top of work time, along with two 10-minute coffee breaks.
  • The first two (9th and 10th) extra hours are paid time and a half. The following hours (11th ->) are paid double.
  • You can directly count 10-hour day salaries by adding 37.5 % to the 8-hour figures
  • The first 8 hours of the 6th and 7th working days of the week are paid time and a half, the following hours are paid double.
  • Minimum hours for rest: 11 hours/day and 35 hours/week. But it’s possible to work in periods which allow more flexibility.


Pictures and more information on filming locations in Finland can be found here:

Weather and climate

There are four seasons in Finland. The climate is marked by cold winters and warm summers. The temperatures vary between +25ºC in the summer and -25ºC in the winter. Finland offers diverse landscapes and filming possibilities throughout the year thanks to its unique natural conditions – from the midnight sun and summer heat to long winters and guaranteed snow. You can check the current weather from The Finnish Meteorological Institutes Website:

Regional Film Commissions

East Finland Film Commission
Film Lapland (Finnish Lapland Film Commission)
North Finland Film Commission
South East Finland Commission 
West Finland Film Commission 
Film Tampere
Åland Film Commission